Steak Cranberry & Mushroom En Croute
Steak, Cranberry and Mushroom En Croute
2tbsp olive oil
75g/3oz chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely crushed
50g/2oz frozen cranberries
4tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
4 (400g/14oz) fillet steaks
1 (500g) pack chilled shortcrust pastry
1 beaten egg to glaze
Roasted beetroot and carrots to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / Fan 180 / Gas mark 6. Heat the oil in a
large heavy-bottom frying pan and cook the mushrooms over a high heat
for 1-2 minutes until golden and cooked through. Add the garlic and cook
for another minute. Remove from the heat and toss in the cranberries and
flat-leaf parsley. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
2. Heat a large, heavy-bottom frying pan until hot, season the steaks
well and seal on each side in the hot pan for a few seconds. Remove and
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until thin and cut
into 4 x 20cm/8in rounds. Place a steak fillet in the centre of each and
spoon a quarter of the filling on top.
4. Gather the pastry up and over the filling in folds and press in teh
centre to seal. Place all 4 parcels onto a baking sheet and lightly
brush with the beaten egg to glaze.
5. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20-25 mins until the
pastry is golden. Serve hot with the roasted vegetables.
To roast beetroot and carrots: Trim 450g/1lb raw, peeled beetroot and
cut into wedges. Peel 1 bunch of carrots and cut in half lengthways.
Place both in a large roasting tin and toss in 2tbsp olive oil. Roast in
a hot oven (200C / Fan 180C / Gas mark 6) for 30 minutes until golden
and lightly charred in places. Toss in 1tbsp clear honey and 2tbsp
fresh, chopped parsley and serve.