Chicken Rogan Josh
5 Tablespoons ground nut oil or ghee (Indian clarified butter)
3-5 cloves garlic
2 heaped teaspoons cumin seeds / ground cumin if you can’t find
1 inch root ginger, finely chopped/grated. shopping list
4-6 fresh chillies, finely chopped (depends on taste)
300-500g chicken breast – or lamb – whatever, cut into srips
2 teaspoons of garam masala.
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons of medium/mild/hot curry powder (depends on taste)
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/2 tin tomatoes – chopped
1 -2 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 large/beef tomato – sliced
Chapatis (Indian/traditional bread to eat with)
2 tablespoons of chopped corriander leaves
Dash of lemon or lime juice
2 large tablespoons of Greek natural yoghurt or creme freshe
2 tablespoons of sweet chilli dip-in sauce
– Heat 2 tablespoons of nut oil in the wok, fry garlic for 1 min.
– Add cumin, fry further 1 min.
– Add chopped ginger, fry further 1 min.
– Add chillies. Fry 1 min.
– Add chicken, and stir fry for minimum 5 mins.
– Remove chcken with slotted spoon and put to one side, leaving the oil etc in the wok.
– Add rest of oil & spices & fry for 1 min.
– Add chopped onions. Add more oil if required. Stir for 10 mins on low heat. Add water if you feel it is drying out.
– Add half tin tomatos.
– Add tomato puree.
– Add most of corriander leaves (leave some to serve as garnish). Mix well.
– Add Sweet Chilli dip-in sauce to taste (Optional)
– Add large tomato slices, cook for 5 mins.
Serve – with rice or chapatis, or both. garnish with sme corriander leaves. Quick squirt of lemon or lime juice.