Bog Standard Flaky Pastry
QUICK FLAKY PASTRY
8oz Plain Flour
A pinch of salt
Cold water to mix
1. Take the butter from the fridge, weigh out the required amount, then
wrap into a small amount of foil and put it in the freezer for 30-40
2. Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
3. When you take out the butter, hold it in the tinfoil, dip it into
the flour and then using a grater (finer than a cheesegrater if you
have one) grate it into the bowl of flour. You should have a lump of
grated butter in the middle of the flour.
4. Take a palette knife and distribute it into the flour – don’t use
hands. The mix should be left crumbly, with the butter all coated with
5. Now add enough water to form a dough that leaves the bowl clean,
using your fingertips to bring it all together.
6. The dough should be put in a polythene bag and chilled for 30
minutes before you bake it.