Well, unfortunately the Canon G9 which broke on holiday is uneconomical to repair. I’m loathed to get a replacement one so I’m looking for recommendations for a compact camera I can stuff in my bag and carry around with me preferably before I’m told to bugger off to India on business with $contract.
Here’s the list of requirements, hopefully not too moon-on-a-stick…
- Needs to be good in low light situations without using flash, since I use it mostly for parties.
- Internal flash which doesn’t blind, external flash connector less important but a nice-to-have.
- Needs to be able to do f/2.8, preferably with ISO800 and above.
- Battery: Excellent battery life, bonus points if it takes Canon NB-2LH batteries (which sorta limits me to the G10 or a second-hand G9).
- Memory: Compact flash or SDHC (‘cos this is what I have tons of).
- Timer and long-exposure shooting.
- 10MP at least, definite bonus points if it does RAW.
- Size: Not too unwieldy, and will fit in my back pocket. The G9 just about did.
- Price point lower than £400.
- Not too bothered about video, if it does it then it would be good if it were HD.
I have already discounted the G11 because I don’t like flop-out LCD screens and it falls outside the price range. The Canon G10 has also been suggested, the dust-in-lens issues have put me off that a little although it meets most requirements.
Does anyone have any other suggestions please?